Marieke van der Velden studied at the Amsterdam Photo Academy (1997-2000). Since 2005 NGO’s such as UNICEF, CARE International and AIDS Fonds have sent me abroad around 35 times to photograph their projects and campaigns, mostly in Africa, Asia and Middle East. Her photographs have been widely published both nationally and internationally. For the serie ‘ A Monday in Kabul’ she was rewarded with the Zilveren Camera (2013). In 2015 Marieke and het partner Philip Brink received the first prize for their innovative photojournalism project ‘The Island of All Together’.
Marieke van der Velden lives and works in Amsterdam (NL).
- 2006: Participant Joop Swart Masterclass World Press Photo
- 2010: Hollands Diep prize (personal portraits)
- 2012: 3rd prize Zilveren Camera (Swimming pools)
- 2012: Dutch Doc longlist (Baghdad)
- 2012: PANL Award (Baghdad)
- 2014: Dutch Doc longlist (Kabul)
- 2014: 1st prize Zilveren Camera (Kabul)
- 2015: 3th prize Zilveren Camera (Das Paradies)
- 2016: 1e prijs Zilveren Camera (The Island of all Together)